2010年12月31日 星期五

Speech for conference presentation

Yesterday, I attended a special talking by Steve Wallace. He shared the key points for making a good presentation. He said the person who presented get the main points, even the research study was not done by this person. So, it is very crucial that a successful researcher needs to know how to not only do the research study, but also present the findings well.

I write out my notes here and remind myself how to have a successful presentation in the future.

Principles of effective cofference presentations
1. talk, instead to reading:
2. stand up
3. move around
4. make eye contact: find a kind face to look at.
5. Don't only look at one side of the room
6. imitate excellent speakers: imiate a person who are a good speaker in my filed.

The content in the speech
1.  focus on the key point, not details
2. simple speech, simple sentence
(1) try to express (explain) the ideas, not try to impress others
(2) use the coomon words
3. use analogies, examples and stories: This is very important part. Expressing by an appropriate exmple could make the speech more being understood.

Four channels for presenting.
1. Words used
2. way that I say words: spped, tone, and volume
3. body language
4. pictures that I showed

The most important part which I have learned in this speech is to face Q and A time. Although I have talked to myslef that audiences' questions could help me to think broader and deeper, I still could not accept that I didn't respond the questions well. I could be depressed for several days.
One of a good way to respond the questions is "talk to you about it after the presentation", when you feel it need to talk long time to express the questions or it is hard to explain the qustion.
Another way to repspond the tuff questions is to transfer to other topics. (Confuse the main questions).

1 則留言:

  1. Practice makes perfect, but just takes time and effort.
    Fortunately, you're on the way to success!

    回覆刪除